If SORACOM Air's data traffic volume is higher than expected, it is possible that the main reason is the communication that was not taken into account; such as DNS queries and HTTP Keep-Alive. Packets can be captured and analyzed using Soracom Peek. Peek will allow you to analyze the packets to determine the total size that is being sent.
From previous cases, here are various examples of communication that can cause extra traffic:
- Name resolution when accessing by hostname. Unless the device has DNS cache such as a Raspberry Pi, data communication of DNS query request and DNS query response occurs in each communication.
- Keep alive in TCP, HTTP, or MQTT communication
- Time Synchronization such as NTP
In addition, when communicating with Unified Endpoint or Soracom Harvest, it is possible to reduce the amount of communication by specifying the IP address and accessing the fixed endpoint.
After confirming the above, if the amount of data is still larger than expected, please enter the following information into a Support ticket through the User Console
- IMSI of the SIM that is utilizing the extra traffic
- Device that is being used (Rasbperry Pi, WioLTE, etc)
- Assumed communication volume and its breakdown (e.g. payload 128byte, UDP header 8 byte, IP header 20 byte, total 156 byte)
- Date and time of communication (Soracom aggregates the amount of communication every 5 minutes, so if possible, leave enough time between previous and subsequent communications)